Below you will find tips that will assist you when completing your FAFSA.
1. Attend a financial aid workshop or FAFSA information session.
2. Speak with a Financial Aid officer at the college/university you are interested in if you have specific questions
3. Attempt to complete your tax forms before filling out the FAFSA application. If this is not possible, you can use the prior year's tax returns as an estimate on your FAFSA, then go back and correct the information at a later time.
4. Complete your FAFSA as soon as possible after January 1st.
5. If you complete your FAFSA online you must apply for a security PIN number before you can submit your application. To apply for your pin number, please go to this website: www.pin.ed.gov
6. Have the following items available for use when completing your FAFSA:
- Driver's license number
- Social Security card
- Your W-2 and 1099 forms from the previous year
- Current bank statements and mortgage information
- Records relating to stocks, bonds, mutual funds and other investments
- Documentation of non-taxable income, such as child support, and certain veterans benefits
- Self employed business records
7. Make a photocopy of each document and keep it in a file folder with a copy of that years completed FAFSA form. This is helpful in case your application is selected for verification.
More information can be found at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/